Thursday, April 05, 2012

casting on...

after all that finishing off last week, it was time to cast on something new; the very best kind of knitting!


I desperately need some cosy cardigans.  Well, desperately might be a touch of an over-exaggeration.  I do still have my Untangled Yoke, my Stella, and my Potter.  But I have retired a few older cardigans this season, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I'm using a pattern out of the Spring 2012 Knitscene - Manayunk Cardigan - with some mods.  Actually, I'm really just using the stitch count from this pattern.  I've changed the sleeve cuff from straight garter to garter rib, added a contrast on the cuff (am debating adding some red stitching to the turquoise rib section, too), and I've omitted the stripes...and I want to finish it with Big Red Buttons but only wear it open, not closed.

The turquoise wool is Bendigo Highlands in 8ply (the red is some mystery stash in a clear cherry colour) and although this pattern is for aran weight, the Highlands is coping really well being knit at a slightly larger gauge (19sts to 4").

So far I'm loving knitting on 5mm needles too - so fast!  First sleeve done in 24hrs, halfway through second, thanks in part to Easter holidays from work.

There was quite a few patterns I liked in this edition of Knitscene, which I downloaded as a digital version for half the price it's currently retailing at in the shops.  I do like downloading knitting magazines - it means I can store the patterns virtually and easily take them with me via Dropbox or Googledocs or similar...

anyway, back to the topic at hand.  Queued projects...

How adorable is this??


One of my favourite things about Knitscene (apart from the patterns!) is the way they style their photoshoots...


A hula hoop sells it to me every time!


and the cover shot garment  is just super cute.




So many knits, so little holiday time! Lucky dreaming is nearly as much fun... 

4 comments:

Emma said...

Knitscene has been great lately, I'd like to make the Hester pullover too, but not too sure about substitute yarns.

Really like the turquoise/red combo you're using for your cardi!

Rose Red said...

I LOVE turquoise and red together!

And I can see you rocking both of those jumpers! Get knitting, lady!

(must be the weekend for it, I cast on for a cardi - for me - today!)

Leonie said...

I've just looked at the Manayunk on Rav and it's gorgeous, nice and simple. Sure to be a wardrobe staple :-)

62cherry said...

love 'em all! especially the first